Here is a short vid I took of my current Märklin demo. A rather short vid, but I had managed to get some more of the wiring done and things working for a test. So rather excited and thought I would share this.
[tags]Märklin, Model Trains, Model Railroad, Youtube[/tags
As I mentioned in my last post, all of the electrical components went missing sometime during the years the train stuff was in storage. Now of course I am sure they will show up sometime – that bag wouldn’t have been tossed, but in the meantime I found a pretty good deal on ebay for the wire I needed.
Now why not head on down to the local hobby shop and get wire there? Well for those who don’t know, I live in Jamestown, ND. The nearest hobby shop is 96 miles away at best. Also – the one place I ordered wire from had a couple of the control boxes in stock. (Though as I also mentioned, using toggle switches is a viable alternative to the original control boxes.)
As you can see in the picture, some of the wire is actual Märklin brand wire. Was this needed? Not at all. I just was able to get my hands on it for the same price as I saw non-Märklin branded wire of that size. The green wire came with the other set, but it was extra and I figure it will work in a pinch or if I want to specially denote something. Otherwise I plan on keeping with the Märklin color coding.
I was waiting for a friend over lunch break, so had a little time to start working on some of the wiring. My initial test of the power distrobution strips was sucessful. (Unhooked and powered just 1 section of track, then powered the light on a bumper section.) I still need to add a piece of wood where I am going to have my switch controls, but that shouldn’t take long. Now that I think I understand how everything is supposed to be wired – it is mostly a matter of doing it and testing as I go.
I will take more pictures of my progress – I am leaving all of the wiring quite loose as I might shift the layout some and for when I add homasote or cork under the track.
Well over the holiday break I picked up much of the old Märklin train stuff from my parents place. It was rather fun to unbox all of that with my Dad and review our discoveries. (I have been posting updates on my Model Train Flickr set.)
Then of course the first thing I did when getting back to Jamestown was un-boxing what I had been able to fit into my car. (Left at my parents house are a couple of boxes of models and modeling supplies – along with the wood from the original benchwork.)
One discovery we had is that all of the electrical components are missing. (Wires and control boxes.) Now they will turn up someday I am sure, but in the meantime I had to do some ordering and creative thinking. After discussing the problem with the folks on the Märklin B&G Yahoo group – I learned that I can replace the old control boxes (which aren’t sold anywhere except ebay anymore) with simple easy to obtain toggle switches. So a quick trip to radio shack I was able to pick up a couple of different types and test them out. I also ordered a bunch of wire off of ebay – so I should be good to go soon. (Also at Radio Shack picked up power distribution strips so that when the wire does get here, I will be able to wire everything to the transformer.)
Last thing I accomplished this week – is my initial single level layout. Not quite perfect yet, though Dad is planning on coming up sometime to help revise, but it is a start.
Well I have a couple of comics for everyone today. These I think display well my current temperment as I get back into the hobby. (Experiancing quite a bit of excitement as I do!)
Walt – Toy Train Overdose
First Eight Strips
Hope those brought a smile to your face! Now I have to get back to work and stop reading the Märklin forums/groups.
Well I haven’t made any progress since building the table. Picking up the train stuff over Christmas break.
One of the best finds I have made is another yahoo group. MarklinBandG. Anyone interesting in Marklin trains – I highly recommend this group. I asked one question – trying to catch up on the change from analog track to the new digital sytem and had multiple answers within a few hours.
As I posted to the group, partly going Marklin because that is what we have, but also biased towards Marklin HO as that is what I remember as a kid. I still remember picking out a train in a Marklin store in Germany.
Anywho – best bet at this point is going to be taking an inventory and comparing model numbers with the group to determin what works with what. (Since I have been out of the loop for 15 years and am playing catchup.)
Here is the measurements and layout of the table.
Don’t have a track layout yet, but getting there. Talked about it with my dad and he might have a few ideas there as well. (Might even be able to find the design/specs of the table he had when I was a kid.)
So – getting started… and that has been fun. (Reminder this is going to be a HO scale build.)
Well I ended up having a little more initiative and time today than I thought I would.
Shane was over and helped me finish putting this together. 2x4s for the frame with the quarter inch plywood attached on the top. Screws were spaced around 6 inches apart to prevent any vibrations.
The table was also securely attached to the shelf that is the same level as it. This provided greater stability and will also add a little extra space for track/layouts.
I will keep documenting this as I progress. It was fun today and look forward to coming up with a track layout. (Already been soliciting my dad for ideas )
Well I picked up some wood from the hardware store today. I have decided on a 4x8ft table.
The plan is to use the 4x8ft plywood sheet as the surface of the table. Underneath it I am building a square frame out of the 2x4s. Then the 1x4s will be crossbars for extra stability and support. (Screwing the plywood down into the crossbars will also reduce vibrations as well from the trains and any track movement.